Today we all know that SAPICA has always distinguished itself by advancing steadily, consolidating year after year as the driving platform for the leather, footwear and leather goods industry. However, there are aspects that not everyone knows about this already emblematic event, here are 10 facts that will make you know more about the history of the Leather and Footwear Show.
SAPICA was first held in July 1974 with the participation of approximately 130 exhibitors.
- 1979 was the year in which, for the first time, SAPICA was held at the Exhibition and Convention Center (today the Poliforum León), which was built at the initiative of the industry’s manufacturers and suppliers.
- Initially SAPICA had only one edition per year, and it was in 1982 that 2 editions per year began to be held.
- The event was held in the months of April / May and September / October presenting respectively the Autumn-Winter and Spring-Summer collections.
- 1986 was a special year for the event, as it broke the attendance record, reaching 15,000 visitors in 4 days.
- The years 1990 to 1993 were instrumental in strengthening relations with other chambers and agencies around the world, such as Las Vegas, New York, Atlanta, and the GDS fair in Germany.
- In 1999, the 25th anniversary of SAPICA, the construction of the Poliforum was announced, with an extension of 40 hectares.
- In the 43rd edition, with the presence of President Vicente Fox Quesada, the event was inaugurated at the Poliforum, now covering 9,070 square meters.
- From 2011, the dates of the event were modified to bring it in line with the calendar of worldwide trade fairs.
- In 2020, SAPICA was held for the first time a hybrid format, digital and in-person edition with limited capacity, adapting to the unprecedented situation that the COVID-19 pandemic brought to the world.
Today, a year after this hybrid edition, SAPICA continues to demonstrate the immense adaptability of the Guanajuato leather and footwear industry. The landscape today is totally different, we have gone through unthinkable circumstances and crises, which have transformed and consolidated SAPICA as an unconditional ally of the industry.
There are only a few days left to experience the 87th edition from August 23 to 25, 2022, with all the measures of prevention and hygiene for the health care of all. We keep the industry alive and dynamic with everyone’s participation, don’t be left out.